Veggie Pho (Pho Chay)
Crispy tofu, assorted vegetables, fried shallots, all natural veggie pho broth. Courtesy of Chef Pat Lee at PhoNatic!
- 2.5 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 med yellow onion
- 1 (3 inch) piece of ginger
- 2 WHOLE CLOVES
- 1 (2-3 inch) stick Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander
- 3 Star anise
- 1 teaspoon mushroom seasoning powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 24 oz "Banh Pho" Noodles fresh/frozen
- 1 cup straw mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh oyster mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh shitake mushrooms
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 2 cups Broccoli
- 2 large pieces baby bok choy cut into fours
- 1 pack tofu cubed medium hard
- 1 cup cilantro sliced
- ½ cup green onions sliced
- 1 cup Red Onions sliced
Garnishes and Sauces:
- Sliced jalapenos
- Hoisin Suace
- Sriracha Chili Sauce
- In a small wok or fry pan, roast cloves, cinnamon, coriander, star anise over medium heat until fragrant. About 5 minutes total.
- Set aside to cool. Once cooled, tie all toasted spices in a tea bag or cheesecloth.
- Place ginger and onion over open flame and char with tongs until both are soft to the touch. About 8 minutes over low heat.
- Bring vegetable broth to a boil, add spice pack, onion and ginger to broth, reduce heat to med low and simmer for 30 minutes. Add kosher salt and mushroom seasoning. Taste and add addition salt if needed. Simmer for another 5 to minutes.
- Remove spice pack, onion, and ginger with a strainer. Strain any loose particles that may be left in pho broth.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- To assemble bowls, take a fist full of noodles and put into boiling water for about 10 seconds. Remove, drain, and pour banh pho noodles into a large bowl. Pho broth into bowl until all of the contents are submerged. Top with green onions, red onions, and cilantro.
- Add beansprouts, basil, jalapenos, limes, hoisin sauce and sriracha chili sauce to your liking. Voila, you now have a delicious, steamy bowl of veggie pho. Quick and easy. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of PhoNatic. Photo by Courtney Pierce.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!