Baked Coconut Oatmeal
This baked oatmeal is your new weekday savior. Assemble this easy recipe in minutes before you wake up the family, then pop it in the oven while you get ready for work. Within 35 minutes, you’ll have a warm, hearty, and good-for-you (did we mention it's vegan?) breakfast to feed a crowd. Bonus: This recipe is also incredibly versatile. Adjust it to the season--or to what you have in your pantry. Here, we use raspberries and pistachios, but it would also be fantastic with bananas and macadamia nuts or pears and walnuts. You can even swap out the fruit for ½ cup of chocolate chips for an extra-special morning. Don’t finish the oatmeal? Don’t worry--this recipe also reheats nicely in the microwave or a 350° oven.
- Nonstick cooking spray (preferably coconut oil) for greasing
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup toasted shredded unsweetened coconut plus more for serving
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¾ cups canned coconut milk (about 1½ cans)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup or light honey plus more for drizzling (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fruit (chopped if large) such as raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, ripe pear or banana, plus more for serving
- Chopped nuts (such as pistachios, hazelnuts, or walnuts) for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 2-quart baking dish and set it on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, toss the oats with the ½ cup of coconut, chia seeds, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the coconut milk with the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract until almost smooth. It’s okay if there are some lumps--the coconut oil will melt in the oven. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and toss to combine. Fold in the fruit. Scrape into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until just set in the middle. Let cool slightly, then scoop into bowls. Top with a dollop of coconut yogurt and sprinkle with chopped nuts, more fruit, and coconut. Drizzle with more maple syrup, if desired, and serve right away.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!