Bourbon Bacon Chocolate Cookies
This signature recipe comes from Lee Anne Wong - Editor and Culinary Director of Maker's Mark Virtual Recipe Cookbook. Two of our favorite things, bacon and bourbon, accented by chunks of rich, dark chocolate. The smoky, saltiness of the bacon pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the bourbon, chocolate and vanilla flavors. Makes 3 dozen cookies.
- 3 tablespoons Maker's Mark® Bourbon
- 3/4 pound bacon 1/4-inch dice*
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup reserved bacon fat chilled
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces dark chocolate chopped into small pieces**
- In a large sauté pan, cook out the diced bacon until the bacon pieces are golden and crisp. Remove the bacon pieces from the fat and drain on a paper towel. Strain the fat through a fine sieve and measure out a 1/2 cup of bacon fat and chill the bacon fat until it congeals and is set.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat the butter, chilled bacon fat, granulated sugar, light and dark brown sugars, vanilla and Maker's Mark® Bourbon in large mixer bowl until it is well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; gradually beat in the flour mixture. Stir in the cooked bacon pieces and chopped chocolate bits. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto parchment-lined baking sheets at least 3 inches apart.
- Bake in the oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Keep in a dry, airtight container for up to 5 days.
- * A fattier sliced bacon is preferred, as lean bacon and turkey bacon will not work for this recipe. ** Use a dark chocolate with 65% cocoa or higher. Anything from a 65%-85% chocolate will work well.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!