Bud Royer's Not My Mom's Apple Pie
This is an AWESOME pie recipe for holiday time! From Bud "The Pieman" Royer. Made with delicious Granny Smith apples 🙂
- 5-6 Granny Smith apples
- 1 Cafe's pie crust 10-inch, see below
- 1-1/3 c brown sugar
- 2/3 c whipping cream
- 1/4 c flour
- 1 c brown sugar
- 3 T flour
- 2 t Cinnamon
- 2 T butter
- 1/2 c pecans pieces
THE CAFE'S PIE CRUST:
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 c water
- 2 c minus 3 T Crisco Shortening Blue Label!
- 5 c white flour
For the Filling:
- Mix flour and sugar, then add the whipping cream. Mix thoroughly.
For the Topping:
- Mix the ingredients together and set aside.
- Peel and core apples and place the apples mounded in the pie shell. Pour 1 ½ cups of the apple filling over the apples. Mix topping and press over pie covering all apples. Bake at 350 degrees for 90 minutes or until the apples are soft and topping is crispy.
For the Pie Crust:
- Dissolve the salt in the water and set aside. Cut the vegetable shortening into the flour, working the mixture thoroughly until it is crumbly. Add salt water to the mixture and continue to work the dough until the water is absorbed. Add several Tablespoons of flour and continue to work the dough until it pulls cleanly away from your hands. Ball the dough up into three balls. Put them in plastic baggies and freeze’m till you need them.
- To use the dough, set it out on the counter to thaw for 3-4 hours or set in your refrigerator overnight. The dough is rolled out the easiest when it is chilled.
- Yield: 3 10 inch crusts
Recipe and Image courtesy of Royers Round Top Cafe.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!