Soooo good! Those were my words when I tried this incredible queso recipe at the Central Market Hatch Chile Pepper recipe contest. I was a judge along with San Antonio Police Chief Bill McManus, Ed Tijerina from MySA.com, along with some others. The recipe comes from Garrett Heath, who writes a blog called “An Average Joe in San Antonio”:http://www.sanantoniojoe.com/. He started the fun blog as a perspective of an Average Joe who likes to eat out. Check out his blog…and try this recipe! It’s just perfect for football season. Thank you Garrett!
1) Defrost your green chiles; be careful not to overcook them
2) To take down the spice, de-seed and de-vein the chiles; dice them up
3) Cube the Velveeta into pieces about the size as the cheese on party platters
4) Mix green chiles and cheese
5) Strain some of the excess juice out of the diced tomatoes and add to cheese mixture
6) Strain the excess juice out of the stewed tomatoes, dice them up, and add to cheese mixture
7) Heat in increments of two minutes until all the ingredients are melted together.
8) Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
- 3 roasted hot Hatch green chiles (5-6 if you want to spice it up) NOTE: Do not attempt this recipe without roasted Hatch green chiles – it just won’t taste right
- Box of Velveeta (32 oz)
- 28oz can of Hunt’s diced tomatoes (the big can)
- 14.5oz can of Hunt’s stewed tomatoes (the little can)