Recipe and image courtesy of Peli Peli
Peli Peli's Carrot Ginger Soup
A crafty carrot ginger soup from Master Chef Paul Friedman made with pureed carrots, orange and ginger root, together with cream and a secret Peli Peli seasoning!
- 2 Tbs olive oil (30 ml)
- 2 large onions diced
- 1 leek sliced
- 1 Tbs ginger root grated, peeled (15 ml)
- 2 ½ lbs Baby Carrots (1 kg)
- 8 cups water (2 liters)
- 2 chicken or vegetable cubes
- 2 tsp salt (10 ml)
- 1 tsp pepper (5 ml)
- 1-2 tsp brown sugar (15-30 ml); or 2 envelopes sweetner
- 1 Orange grated rind
- 1 cup orange juice (250 ml)
- 1 cup cream (250 ml); or nondairy creamer (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add onion and leek and cook until tender and golden, about 20 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except cream and allow to simmer on medium-low heat for 1 hour or until carrots are tender.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Blend soup in small batches in blender until pureed.
- Return to saucepan and heat to serve.
- Adjust seasoning and if desired, add cream or non-dairy creamer.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!