Make this refreshing cocktail when the strawberries are abundant and are a deep, juicy red. The combination of herbal gin and bitter Campari calls to mind the profile of a classic Negroni, but if these spirits are not for you, feel free to skip the Campari altogether or swap out the gin for vodka or a light golden rum. That is what is so spectacular about this drink – you can comfortably make it your own. Switch out the spirits, use sparkling wine in place of seltzer, or even make it alcohol-free. It is loose and care-free, just like the last hot, slow days of summer. The strawberry-syrup below makes enough for 32 cocktails, so this recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for a crowd.
- 8 ounces gin preferably a less juniper-heavy brand like Hendrick’s
- 4 ounces Strawberry-Black Pepper Syrup see Recipe Notes
- 4 ounces Campari optional
- 12 ounces club soda
- Sliced strawberries and basil sprigs for garnish
- Fill a pitcher with ice. Add the gin, strawberry syrup, Campari, if using, and club soda; stir. Pour into ice-filled glass, garnish with sliced strawberries and basil sprigs and serve right away.
MAKE AHEAD If preparing this drink in advance for a large crowd, combine the gin, strawberry syrup and Campari. Let guests add ice and club soda at their convenience. View recipe for Strawberry-Black Pepper Syrup here.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!