Third Coast’s Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and seeded chopped into one-inch cubes
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion - diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup bacon, rendered crisp and crumbled
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms, roasted
- 1/2 cup fresh CHIVES chopped
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, sauté squash, carrot, celery, onion, garlic and fennel in oil with a pinch of salt for 5-7 minutes. Add stock, salt and pepper, and simmer until squash is soft. Puree and strain soup back into pot. Over low heat, add cream, nutmeg, brown sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with pecans, bacon, mushrooms and chives.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!