Uchi's Chilled Fennel Soup
Fresh fennel soup served chilled from Chef de Cuisine Michael Castillo at Uchi Austin. A great way to get your greens in the warmer months!
- 1 bulb Fennel sliced
- 2 shallots sliced
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 qt smoked mushroom stock (can substitute vegetable stock)
- 1 tablespoon aged soy sauce
- 1 cup spinach packed, blanched
- fennel stems and fronds sliced and blanched
- Sweat the fennel, garlic, and shallot in olive oil until tender. Add in the mushroom stock and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Chill the base as quick as possible. Once cool, puree in a blender with remaining ingredients until smooth. Adjust seasoning with salt or soy sauce. Strain through a chinois.
- Pour soup over the following: heirloom tomatoes, greenbrier tops, sliced Japanese turnip, bronze fennel, fennel flowers, begonia leaves, toasted rice powder, aster powder, cilantro oil, aged soy sauce, coriander blossoms
Recipe and Image courtesy of Uchi Austin.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!