Zinc's Calamari and Spanish Chorizo Pizza
Some of the best pizzas come from Zinc Bistro - this one is no exception! It's a new creation, Calamari & Chorizo Pizza, with Manchego cheese sauce, fennel, and oven-roasted tomatoes!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. dry white wine
- 1 small bulb fennel - sliced
- ¼ c Caramelized Onions
- 3 ½ oven-roasted tomatoes – sliced
- 3 oz. asiago cheese
- 3 oz. manchego cheese 1 oz. grated for baking
- 2.5 oz. Spanish chorizo
- 4 oz. calamari
- 1- 6 oz. dough
- Corn meal for pizza not to stick
- heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh dill for garnish
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ c all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ c whole milk
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch red pepper
- 1 ½ c grated manchego cheese
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- Over medium-low flare, melt butter and soften the shallots, garlic, and bay leaf until fragrant. Whisk flour – lower heat and cook a roux without coloring for about 4-5 minutes. Raise the heat to medium and whisk in the milk using a wooden spoon. Stir the béchamel continuously until it turns stain and silky. It will take about 30-40 minutes for flour taste to cook out of the béchamel, so be prepared to exercise patience. Once sauce has thickened, add nutmeg and pepper, and whisk in manchego until it melts completely into sauce. Check for salt.
- Place a Comal oval shape or a stone, whichever you have. Oven should be at 500°F.
- Slice calamari, set aside. Slice fennel sautéed with white wine until golden brown. Take the 6oz dough ball and roll out with a little flour: thin roll out oval shape or round. Put corn meal on your peel and start building pizza. Drizzle olive oil all over pizza dough, salt. Spread béchamel around dough. Leave a little border. Arrange fennel, chorizo, grated manchego and asiago cheese, calamari, tomato, and onion. Bake at 500° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove pizza with your peel. Grind black pepper, add fresh dill, and cut up to 8 pieces.
Recipe courtesy of Zinc Bistro & Bar.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!