Unbelievable food at this iconic Houston lunch spot… grocery store — the list goes on! Lankford Grocery & Market has been in business since the 1930’s. Here you’ll find “nothing small, nothing healthy, and nothing fast.” It’s the type of burger joint where the regulars are very regular (up to an hour wait on the weekends but so worth it!), and the family behind the counter remembers you by name.
There are four generations of the Lankford-Prior clan currently running the place…we sat down with mother-daughter team Jessica and Shelby Prior for the scoop on their famous, made-to-order hamburgers, loaded breakfast plates as well as the recipe for one of their daily specials, a kickin’ King Ranch Chicken here:
1. Bake 6 chicken breasts – season with black pepper, chili powder, garlic granulated
2. In large pot: Combine bell peppers strips, onion strips and cook in butter. Add 4 cans cream of chicken soup, add american cheese, cook until melted.
3. Add: 1-80 count uncooked corn tortillas cut in quarter pieces mix, then add 2 cans kernel corn, 1-24 oz can diced tomatoes with juice and mix thoroughly.
4. Cut chicken into small chunks and add to mixture. Pour into greased pan. Cook until hot and bubbly.
5. Spoon into plate and add Monterey Jack cheese and parsley on top with sour cream. Side of lettuce, pico and avocado.
I’ve heard rave reviews on their delicious Grim Burger, topped with mac & cheese, jalapeño, bacon and a fried egg! Also check out this brand new breakfast item…the Lone Star Texas Tostada. Served with the fried tostadas, a fried egg, beans, salsa, your choice of meat (sausage, bacon or ham) and avocado: