Our summer begins with fine wine, the best seafood spots, and even how to buy the right kind when cooking at home. From texture to smell, we have all the secrets you need when food shopping this sunny season!
A few tips when buying your seafood, so you know you’re getting the best product available:
1) Check the Eyeball. No joke! You want to ensure it’s not sunken in or shrunken.
2) What color is it? The brighter the fish, the more fresh it tends to be.
3) The Texture. You’re looking for fish that is firm to the touch.
4) How does it smell? This is an important indicator – it should smell like the ocean!
One of our favorite places locally to shop for fresh seafood is Groomer’s. They’ve been around a long time and source not only local fish, but fly exotic supplies in from all over the world.
If you’re not up for cooking yourself, the new Silo Terrace Oyster Bar just up I-10 near Boerne Stage Rd. has some exquisite offerings! As far as raw oysters go, they keep three different varietals at any given time. An oyster tip: pay close attention to the oyster’s liquor, or the amount of natural juice that keeps it alive once it’s out of the water. You want this present before consumption or they’re no good.
Silo’s Snapper Ceviche and Seared Ahi Tuna are also terrific ‘summer’ menu items to try…
Another favorite seafood haunt of ours is Chef Johnny Hernandez’ La Gloria at the Pearl Brewery. We brought along his delectable Camarones Agua Chile (shrimp in fire water) for Living cameras to capture. There’s also a brand new location inside Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas!
Wines to lighten up with this summer include:
– Drylands Sauvignon Blanc (bright, zesty and crisp with tropical flavors)
– Mar de Frades Albariño (maritime influence, lots of minerality, an “oyster” wine)
– Cline Pinot Noir…$12-13 at H-E-B!
For more delicious recipes and fun food and wine pairing ideas, subscribe to my newsletter. And don’t forget to enter our latest destination giveaway on Goodtaste.tv absolutely free: win a spa weekend for 2 to the Houstonian Hotel!