Made from locally sourced produce and the finest ingredients, these apple and hazelnut “Dos Empanadas” are a favorite amongst diners in Brannon’s Cafe at The Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort. Watch this video to see how they come together. Go nuts!
Directions – Empanada Dough:
1. Sift the flours and the cinnamon.
2. Cream the butter and cream cheese and add sugar.
3. Add the flour mix last. Chill before use.
Directions – Apple Filling:
1. Heat butter in a sauté pan.
2. Add Fuji apple, sugar, cinnamon and anise powder.
3. Cook until tender. Add apple juice and Jack Daniels® Whiskey.
4. Add granny smith apples last. Cook Lightly.
Assembling Dos Empanadas:
1. Cut off 2 ounces of dough and roll out into a circular shape approximately 3 inches in diameter.
2. Add 2 ounces of apple filling and 1 ounce of Nutella® hazelnut spread to half of the rolled out dough that is face up.
3. Fold the dough in half to create the empanada shape.
4. Use a fork to seal the dough.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 min.
6. Dust powdered sugar over the empanadas before serving.
Serving these fresh Dos Empanadas with coconut ice cream.
1. Combine the milk and cream of coconut in the container of a food processor and mix thoroughly. Stir in the cream and flaked coconut.
2. Pour this into the container of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufactures instructions.
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cake flour
- 8 ounces all-purpose flour
- 5 ounces sugar
- 6 ounces butter
- 2 each whole eggs
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 5 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- dash salt
- 2 each Fuji apple
- 2 each Granny Smith apple
- ½ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ stick (4 oz) whole butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon anise powder
- 1 cup milk
- 14 ounces cream of coconut
- 1 ½ cup Sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream