Brennan's Creole Seafood Gumbo
Classic Creole Seafood Gumbo from a chef who knows it best, Danny Trace (Brennan's of Houston). Served with toasted garlic “Jazzmen” rice and Chef Danny’s blend of filé. The season starts now...enjoy!
- 1 1/2-2 pounds large hard-shell crabs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 medium yellow onions medium dice
- 1 bunch celery medium dice
- 4 medium green bell peppers medium dice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch each dried oregano basil and thyme
- 4 large bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound okra; sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 quarts stock ( fish shrimp, or crab) or water
- 1 pound medium shrimp shelled and deveined
- 1 quart shucked oysters in their liquor
- 1 pound Jumbo lump Crabmeat
- 8 cups cooked white rice for serving
- Louisiana hot sauce & Worcestershire to taste
- 1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
- File powder
- Remove the top shells of the crabs along with the deadmen (gills) and discard. Crack the crabs in half, reserve.
- Heat the oil in a large 8 qt Dutch oven until smoking, about 5 minutes. Gradually add the flour and cook over high heat, stirring constantly until the roux is the color of milk chocolate, 3 to 5 minutes; Being careful not to burn.
- Add the garlic, onions, bell pepper and celery and cook for 5 minutes until wilted. Add in tomatoes, cayenne pepper, herbs, and bay leaves. Cook about 3 minutes.
- Gradually add 3 quarts of stock to the pot, stirring constantly. Add the crabs and okra. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour; skimming often. Add the shrimp and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the crabmeat, oysters and their liquor and bring just to a boil over moderate heat. Add Worcestershire, hot sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately over the rice and garnish with green onions and dusting of file.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!