Butternut Squash & Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash
Want to add a little more green for extra iron? Our friend Ali Miller, R.D., L.D., & C.D.E. in Houston has the right recipe for you! Her butternut and brussels sprouts hash is easy to whip up and packs a few extra vegetables to the mix.
- 4 slices pasture-raised bacon
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup butternut squash, cut into small dice
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sage, minced
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts, halved
- 4-6 Pasture Raised Eggs
- 1/4 cup Broccoli sprouts for garnish
- Cook bacon in a medium sized cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove the bacon and set aside on paper towels.
- Keep bacon grease in the pan and add the onion and garlic. Cook until translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the butternut squash along with the seasonings. Cook, stirring every couple of minutes, until squash has begun to soften. Add the Brussels sprouts and mix with the squash. Cook another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until both the butternut squash and Brussels sprouts are cooked through and browned.
- With the back of a spoon, create a one inch well and crack an egg into it. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Turn down the heat to low and cook, covered, about 3-4 minutes until egg whites are fully cooked and yolks are to your liking. Chop the bacon into ½ inch pieces and add to the skillet. Top with the broccoli sprouts for serving.
This recipe is provided courtesy of Ali Miller, R.D., L.D., & C.D.E.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!