King Cake with Cream Cheese Cinnamon Filling
his King Cake recipe eliminates the worry of working with a complicated yeast dough.
- 2 (8-ounce) cans reduced-fat crescent rolls
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons Confectioners Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Madri Gras Icing:
- 1 cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring yellow, green, red and blue
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 10-inch round pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Separate crescent rolls at perforations into 16 slices. Place slices around prepared pan with points in the center. About halfway down from points, press seams together.
- In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until creamy. Spread on dough in the center where seams have been pressed together.
- In another small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over cream cheese. Fold dough points over filling, then fold bottom of triangle over points forming circular roll like king cake.
- Bake about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly and drizzle with colored Mardi Gras Icing.
For the Mardi Gras Icing:
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients, except food coloring. Divide mixture into three bowls.
- In first bowl, add a few drops of yellow food coloring. In second bowl, add a few drops of green food coloring. In third bowl, add equal amounts of drops of red and blue food coloring (to create purple).
- Drizzle over cooled cake.
Recipe and Image courtesy of Louisiana Travel.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!