Luby's Homestyle Chicken Soup
Just as the name suggests…a homemade chicken soup with fresh vegetables and seasonings that’s sure to be enjoyed with family and friends. This soup makes a great gift for a friend or relative who’s feeling under the weather. Enjoy!
- ½ cup butter or margarine (1 stick)
- 2 cups peeled, diced red new potatoes
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup diced white onions
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 cups shredded American cheese (8 ounces)
- 3 cups diced carrots
- ½ teaspoon diced thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ cups diced celery
- 1 tablespoon Seasoned Salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 8 cups Chicken Broth
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken, about 1 pound
- Place butter in a large saucepan and heat on medium high. Saute onions, carrots and celery 8 minutes. Stir often.
- Add flour and stir well 1 minute. Slowly add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add potatoes, basil, thyme, seasoned salt and paprika. Stir well. Reduce to a simmer. Cook 8 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Add chicken and broccoli. Stir well and simmer 6 minutes or until all vegetables are tender and chicken is hot. Add American cheese and parsley. Remove from heat and stir until cheese is melted.
This recipe is provided courtesy of Luby's. Tips: Homemade biscuits or crisp rustic bread goes great with this Luby’s classic. This recipe works well with leftover chicken or store-bought rotisserie chicken. The easiest place to purchase American cheese is at your local grocer’s deli counter. For more delicious recipes and fun food and wine pairing ideas, subscribe to my newsletter.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!