Hatch Pepper French Toast with Roasted Fuji Apple Compote
H-E-B has your French toast fix, complete with seasonal Hatch chiles! Serve with maple syrup, roasted apple compote and powdered sugar.
- 3 organic fuji apples cored, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 large eggs
- 1 morton & bassett vanilla bean
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 loaf hatch pepper cheese bread
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Place your cut apples on a well‑greased sheet pan, and roast until apples are browned and very soft (about 30‑40 minutes) remove from oven and place them in a blender with apple juice, pulse to combine until smooth. (Add a little more apple juice if necessary to get it to blend). Set aside for topping over French toast.
- In a large pyrex dish add heavy whipping cream, eggs, vanilla bean, cinnamon and maple syrup together. Mix all the ingredients together until the egg and cream mixture is well incorporated.
- Slice the Hatch bread into 1/2 inch slices and dip them in custard mix, let them sit for 20 minutes (flip bread over after 10 minutes of soaking to let the bread soak on the opposite side).
- Make French toast by placing a little of butter in a non‑stick pan and frying each piece of custard soaked bread until the toast is browned on each side and custard is cooked); 3‑5 minutes per side should do the trick. Repeat this process with every slice.
- Serve French toast with more maple syrup and the roasted apple compote. Garnish with powdered sugar.
Recipe and Image courtesy of H-E-B.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!