Recipe and image courtesy of The Well
Uncle's Venison Stew
This hearty helping of goodness comes compliments of Chef Chemo Barrera at The Well in San Antonio, TX. A terrific cold weather stew inspired by iconic Texas flavors and traditions!
- 10 lbs Texas venison
- 2 ea. yellow onions medium diced
- 3 ea. Carrots medium diced
- 1⁄2 ea. celery stalk medium diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 T Black Pepper
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 cup Bourbon
- 3 qts. beef stock
- 3 ea. Roma tomatoes
- 1 lb. white mushrooms
- salt to taste
- Brown venison in pot, then remove.
- Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic and sweat until translucent, about 3-5 min.
- Add pepper, cumin, chili powder and toast for 30-45 seconds.
- Add venison back in and cover with stock and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for about an hour then add tomatoes, mushrooms and simmer for another hour, or until tender.
- Add salt to taste.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!