The great thing about NIOSA is trying different foods from around the world. These veggies, stir-fried with a light batter, are crispy and delicious and a big hit in the Chinatown area.
1. Wash, dry and slice the vegetables into approximately 1½-inch pieces.
2. Prepare tempura batter, either following package directions, or using the recipe on the right.
3. Heat oil to a depth of 3 inches in a deep heavy skillet to 375 degrees on a deep-fat thermometer.
4. Dip a few pieces of vegetables at a time into the batter; let drain briefly, then transfer to the hot oil with tongs.
5. Fry, turning as needed, until golden, about 3-4 minutes. Do not overcrowd the pan.
6. Remove with tongs, drain on paper towels and salt to taste if desired. Repeat with remaining vegetables.
For Tempura Batter:
– Stir all ingredients in a medium bowl. Batter should retain some lumps.